Sunday, January 22, 2023

Tasting - Gaetano D'Aquino Pinot Grigio


Name: Gaetano D'Aquino Delle Venezie Pinot Grigio

Variety: 100% Pinot Grigio 

Region: Tretino-alto Adigge, Trevenezie

Country: Italy

Year: 2022

Price: $9


Wine Critic Review: There is a refreshing crispness, and some genuine, explicit fruit flavors way beyond what we expect from an ultra value priced wine. Also, there is none of what I refer to as "artificial" leesy, lanolin type flavors. The nose has peach and lemon. The palate is crisp and defined sweet tart lemon with peach, pear, and lemon. Very crisp. Long, food friendly acidic finish. Great for the price

Wine Folly: pg 149: Pinot Grigio is a pink grape mutation of Pinot Noir, with zesty white wines that range from being dry to plainly sweet. Pairs well with white meats, seafood, and food with a fruit element. Pinot Grigio has tastes of white peach, lemon zest, cantalope, raw almond, and crushed gravel. 

pg 251: Northern Italy produces most of Italy's Pinot Grigio, with their wines characteristically having a subtle tart fruit taste and high acidity. 


My Review: The perfect way to kick off the wine blog's was with a white wine. At only $9, there shouldn't be too much expected. Though, I thought it was pretty good and it paired well with the chicken I had for dinner. It was slightly sweet and quite dry, which is a feature that I enjoy in wine. I can't speak to the crushed gravel taste mentioned above (I've never tried crushed gravel before), but I certainly tasted the acidity associated with the lemon zest, and the fruity flavors of the white peach. I didn't get as much the cantaloupe or raw almond, but certainly doesn't seem too far off. 

Would I Buy Again?: Saying this is my first blog, my taste perception of wine will likely change over time. But for $9, I would certainly buy this wine again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Barefoot Moscato

Name:  Barefoot Moscato  Variety:  100% Moscato Region:  California   Country:  United States Year:  2022 Price:  $7 Wine Critic Review:   &...